My New Year’s Revolution this year has been to be more conscious of the materials and products that I use during my make overs. As a Make Up Artist it’s important to be aware of the ingredients in the products I’m buying for my make up kit. I no longer want to use products on my clients that are full of unnecessary chemicals. For example, I use organic cotton wool and re-useable muslin cloths to remove cleanser.
I always do some online research on brands before I purchase their products, however, I know that you probably don’t have the time to do this… so to speed things up here’s a few ingredients that you should watch out for on the label:
- Parabens – a preservative that has had some bad press in the past linked to breast cancer. It’s prefixes are ethyl, methyl, butyl, isobutyl or propyl
- Talc – contains a chemical that is similar to asbestos
- Fragrance – this term can indicate it contains hundreds of chemicals
- Alcohol, Isopropyl – it can dry out and irritate your skin
- Lanolin – when used in cosmetics it can be contaminated with pesticides and insecticides.
If you’d like to start introducing natural cosmetics to your make up bag and you’re not sure where to start, Burts Bees products average 99% natural, Une make up contains no parabens and Urban Decay have 100% vegan palettes.